Email is so prevalent now. Almost all ages use it and most of us probably never had a tutorial. So as I have learned ‘on the go’ here are some helpful tips I can pass on.
- Use e-mail suitably. Where face to face or phone is better – chose the right option. Even if it’s more difficult and takes longer.
- Always acknowledge receipt. It’s courtesy.
- If you need more time to digest – let he person know.It’s clarity.Short reply is always better than no reply.
- use separate accounts for personal and work. That way you can switch off properly during the weekend and on holidays.
- Try to aim for ‘inbox zero’- leaving only very urgent ‘to reply’ in. It’s simplicity.
- Use folders | labels and file emails accordingly. It’s easier to find them later.
- If you’re not wired – almost always on – let people that work with you know your habits and rhythms.
- Create template emails suited for different needs. They are time savers.
- Unless you’re in demand or expecting something extremely important, switch notifications off. they are unnecessary distractions.
- If your work requires email – devote a clear amount of time to it rather than moving ‘in and out’.